My Journey

My photo
I am a Jesus-follower, a minister, and a mom. I'm trying to be good at a lot of things and often this exhausts me. I love my kids, my husband, my church and my life. I want to share my journey with others, so this is my blog.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Identity Crisis

We’re moving to Washington. My husband, who has so far followed my career, has a new job there and it’s my turn to follow him. I truly feel that every career is a calling from God, and this is where God is calling him. I’m excited, but I’m nervous.

I am a pastor. I have always been a minister. I mean always. High school, Jr. High. Always. It’s who I am. Making this move means that I won’t be paid to be a minister – at least not for a while. Pastor Jana is becoming a stay-at-home mom. I’m not sure how I feel about this.

I have great respect, even awe, for stay-at-home moms. I think dedicating every moment of your day to your kids is the most difficult job in the world. I’ve never been sure it’s for me. Yet here I am.

My mom got me a refrigerator magnet that says “All Moms Work.” When I have told people I’m leaving, I have received nothing but encouragement and support. People, men and women, understand that children grow up way to fast and most wish they’d had more time with their own kids. I am blessed to have this opportunity. I’m excited, too. I have been very stressed trying to work full time while being a full-time mom. But I’ve done it. And now I won’t be. I’ll be a mom.

My identity should be in Christ., regardless of my title. I’ve been preaching lately about doing individual ministry and taking time to form relationships with non-Christians. And maybe this is my chance. But still, I’ll be a stay-at-home mom. When someone asks what I do, the answer is “I’m a mom”. When I go to church, I’ll be just another church member. When I wake up in the morning, all I’ll have to do is take care of my kids and house. A mom.. And I start this new job in just 3 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment